The Control of Asbestos Regulations (2012)
The Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012(CAR) introduced an explicit duty to manage asbestos in non-domestic premises. This important legislation tackles the biggest occupational health killer in the UK – asbestos-related disease.
The Duty to Manage
If you own, occupy, manage or have responsibilities for non-domestic premises, which may contain asbestos, you will either have: legal duty to manage the risk from this material: or A duty to co-operate with whoever manages that risk.
The person responsible for a building (The Duty Holder) is required to manage the risk from asbestos by:
- Taking reasonable steps to find asbestos on their premises and assess the condition of these materials.
- Presuming that materials do contain asbestos unless there is strong evidence that they do not;
- Preparing a record of the location and condition of asbestos, or presumed asbestos, materials and assess the risks from them.
- Preparing and implementing a plan to manage those risks.
- Providing information on the location and condition of the materials to anyone who is liable to disturb them.